Posted on: April 14, 2010
Bright Smiles from Birth is an ICAAP educational program that provides guidelines and support to Pediatricians and Family Physicians, Dentists, and families to make oral health a component of well child visits.
Bright Smiles from Birth made available a Post-Fluoride Application Information Sheet for providers to give to parents immediately after applying fluoride varnish. This information sheet can be copied, cut in half, and distributed to parents and care-givers.
Immediately after applying fluoride varnish, parents and care-givers should know:
- Varnish sets on contact with saliva.
- Your child may eat or drink two hours from now. Do not feed hard or chewy foods or let your child chew gum today. This might chip off the varnish.
- Do not brush your child’s teeth tonight, but restart normal tooth brushing tomorrow.
- Some varnishes (usually the sodium-based ones which are yellow) can make your child’s teeth a different color. It will be removed by brushing tomorrow.
- If your child usually takes a fluoride supplement, do not give your child one today.
- Do not do any other fluoride treatment at home today.
- Varnish needs to be reapplied every 3-6 months. Make sure to schedule your next appointment.
Post-Fluoride Varnish Application Information Sheets can be downloaded here in English and Spanish (pdf).
(Additional languages are available upon request.)
For more information about post-fluoride varnish application, or Bright Smiles from Birth please contact:
1400 W. Hubbard
Chicago, IL 60642
Phone: 312/733-1026, ext 213