FLU IMMUNIZATION CAMPAIGN
Pediatric health care providers play a significant role in ensuring all children receive the annual flu vaccine. This is more important than ever, given the burden COVID-19 has placed on our health care system. Every patient visit is an opportunity to promote flu vaccination and strengthen trust in the flu vaccine.
Use these resources to help increase flu vaccination rates in your community.
Resources for Providers
- AAP 2020-2021 Influenza Policy Statement
- Prepare for Flu Season during the COVID-19 Pandemic (AAP)
- Influenza Implementation Guidance: Patient, Family & Community (AAP)
- Immunization Resources for Providers (ICAAP)
- Flu Vaccine Innovation during COVID-19: Ideas from IL Providers (ICAAP)
- Communicating the Benefits of Seasonal Influenza Vaccination during COVID-19 (AIM and IAC)
- Make a Strong Flu Vaccine Recommendation (CDC)
- Preparing for Questions Parents May Ask about Vaccines (CDC)
- Immunizations: Communicating with Families (AAP)
- Six Things Doctors can do to Boost Flu Vaccination among Children (AMA)
- Toolkit for Health Care Professional Influenza Vaccination (ISMS)
Resources for Families
- Flu Vaccine: Get the Facts (CDC): for families who want additional information, have questions, or decline influenza vaccination at first recommendation. This resource will provide context to the efficacy of the influenza vaccine and highlight its safety.
- The Flu: A Guide for Parents (CDC): helps parents understand the risks of flu and what they can do to protect their children. This FAQ guide provides clear answers to questions about flu symptoms, vaccine safety, and treatment.
- Healthychildren.org (AAP): information about flu symptoms, prevention and vaccination, and treatment for parents.
- Families Fighting Flu (FFF): organization devoted to sharing facts, resources, and support to help families better understand the severity of flu
- I Protect: IL coalition that aims to educate parents on the facts around vaccinations to help parents feel comfortable and confident in making the right decision for their child
- Flu Campaign Livestream Radio Messages: as a part of the 2020-2021 flu campaign, ICAAP worked with Edelman (public relations firm) to launch livestream messages via Spotify. Funding for the Spotify ads was made possible by funds received from the Office of Health Protection, through the Illinois Department of Public Health as well as through the Chicago Department of Public Health through an influenza grant.
Preview the ads, below:
Why It's So Important for Families to Get Vaccinated Against the Flu
Learn more by visiting: https://www.familiesfightingflu.org/flu-facts-what-is-flu/
Learn more by visiting: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-benefits.htm
Learn more by visiting: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/139/5/e20164244
How Families Can Protect Themselves From the Flu
Getting vaccinated, in addition to following proper hand washing, mask wearing, and social distancing guidelines will help protect you, your family, your community and the most vulnerable among us during this pandemic and flu season.
It is important for parents to talk to their trusted pediatric providers about vaccines, understand the benefits and resources for flu vaccinations, and make an informed decision for their family.
There are multiple ways Illinoisans and Chicagoans can receive their flu vaccine:
- Via your family's trusted health care providers - call them today to find out more!
- The Illinois Department of Public Health recommends Illinois families check the online Vaccine Finder tool to find the closest location offering flu shots.
- Cook County Department of Public Health has partnered with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois to offer free mobile flu clinics throughout suburban Cook County.
- The Chicago Department of Public Health has resources to help families locate options for flu shots, here.
- Local pharmacies including Walgreens and CVS, local colleges and universities, and outdoor park/recreational areas are setting up safe, socially distanced clinics for flu shots this year.
Partner Organization Flu Campaigns
Social Media Messages
- The CDC and AAP recommend that everyone gets their flu shot this year. Find resources to support having this important conversation with families, here: https://bit.ly/2HsoNwd
- Help parents get their flu vaccine! Families can check the National Vaccine Finder (https://vaccinefinder.org/) to find the closest location. The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) has listed 50 community flu clinics offering flu shots at no cost for adults in Chicago: https://bit.ly/2T5mphm
- Getting vaccinated, proper hand washing, following social distancing guidelines, and mask wearing will help protect you, your family, your community, and the most vulnerable among us during this pandemic and flu season.
- Studies have shown flu vaccination reduced the risk of flu-associated death by over half among children with underlying high-risk medical conditions and by nearly two-thirds (65 percent) among healthy children. Don't delay – talk to your pediatrician about the flu shot today!
- COVID-19 continues to spread, making this flu season potentially one of the most dangerous in decades. Though parents may feel hesitant about medical visits, vaccines and well-child visits are essential and medical offices are taking safety precautions. Call about a flu shot today!
- Hickory, dicory, dock the mouse went...to get the Flu shot! Try a new nursery rhyme this year. Schedule a well-visit today for the flu vaccine. It provides your child protection from illnesses related to the virus. https://bit.ly/30Xv7lk
- Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped right over…to the pediatrician’s office for a flu shot! Try a new nursery rhyme this year. Schedule a well-visit today for your child to receive flu vaccine. It provides your child protection from illnesses related to the flu virus. https://bit.ly/30Xv7lk
- Old Mac Donald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O, And on his farm he had a cow…who he took for a well-visit! Try a new nursery rhyme this year. Schedule a well-visit today for your child to receive flu vaccine. It provides your child protection from illnesses related to the flu virus. https://bit.ly/3i3CrD5